Saturday, 8 August 2009

Buying some art






As part of my slow but steady plan to redecorate my parents' house to reflect my own tastes, I bought three pieces of artwork while on holiday. They are shown above.

Top is a painting called 'A Field of Dreams' by Jo Pryor, an artist who works in Great Torrington in North Devon. She has her own website (http://www.jopryor.net/). She is well-known for her depictions of strangely-proportioned ladies in flowing garments. I saw this painting at an exhibition at the Burton Art Gallery in Bideford, and had no hestitation in buying it before anyone else did. Everything about it appeals: the colour, the overlapping shapes, the grouping of the ladies' heads, the almost hypnotic intricacy of the patterns on their gowns and in the background. I'll have to get a couple more of hers to keep this one company.

Next is a glass disc entitled 'Catching Bubbles' by Loraine Smith, which I bought at 14 The Gallery, an artists' co-operative in the Great Torrington Pannier Market. It reminds me not so much of bubbles but pools in the sand, left after the tide has receded.

Last is a hefty 'Pebble' vase from the Dartington Crystal glassworks at Great Torrington. Is this art? I would say so. It's certainly a beautiful piece, with severe simplicity of form.

These pieces together hint at the kind of surroundings I eventually intend to establish at home. But it will take a long while!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy
    You have very good taste. I like the Jo Pryor paintings. She has a very distinctive style.
    Thank you for sharing your life with us.
    Take care
    love
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford