Sunday, 2 August 2009

Bishops, bars and Bude - part 2



(Continued from part 1 below)

In any case, I'd discovered that it took one and a half hours to get from North Devon to Plymouth in daylight on a dry road. I needed to head back, especially as it was now early evening and had started to rain. A pity, though: it was the landlord's birthday, there was music to listen to and nibbles to eat, and the place was starting to fill up. It took a little willpower to leave.

But the best moment of my holiday was the evening in Bude next day. It was gloriously sunny. I had dinner at The Castle Restaurant. This was at the rear of the castellated (crenellated?) Council HQ, formerly the eccentric home of an inventor. It faced a green, and all the rear part had a wonderful view out to sea, taking in the entrance of the Bude Canal, the river mouth, the sands of Bude Haven, and the slowly setting sun. They gave me a window table. I had a four-course meal with wine. It wasn't cheap (£40, with the tip) but it was yummy and well within my definition of 'fine dining'. The young waitress was chatty, attentive and efficient. When eating alone, the whole experience matters. I savoured it all. And afterwards a walk seawards by the Canal, past the lock gates, up onto the cliff, and out to the little pepperbox tower at Compass Point. What a view. Sun, sand, surf, seagulls. Exhilaration! I have to say, Bude may be a rather remote resort, but it speaks to me. I may go to live there one day.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're enjoying your holiday, Lucy!

    The last time I was near Bude was on a winter exercise, way out on the moor. Hellish cold. I don't recall it with much affection but, as with so many places here and abroad, I promised myself i would visit again one day when I had charge of my own life.

    But I never did....

    love
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford