Sunday, 19 July 2009

Will you take some tea, Miss Melford?

I was visiting my niece J--- yesterday, and she was intrigued to know how I chose my name. Good question.

The Lucy bit is easy: I've just always liked that name, and it isn't so far removed from the old one on my birth certificate. The same 'oo' sound, anyway. It's a sweet sort of name. Nobody would be unkind to a Lucy, would they?

Melford is different. I thought long and hard about what would go well with Lucy. Basically I wanted a normal-sounding English name that was easy to say, easy to spell, and could be handwritten with a nice flow if ever I had to supply a signature. (That's a nice flow in my OWN handwriting, which may not resemble yours!) Additionally I wanted my new name to seem vaguely 'of the countryside', to the extent that if you said it slowly with a West Country accent it would sound like something out of the Archers, my dear. Yep, you could imagine the girls in the cowshed a-milking and a-saying, 'That Lucy Melford thinks she be a right fine lady, but we'm know bettur', or somesuch. It was a nod in the direction of Dad's Devon background.

Turns out that J--- reckoned that 'Lucy Melford' could in fact have been a character in any Jane Austen novel! It was that kind of name, redolent of rose-covered vicarages, and taking tea, and polite conversation, and the attentions (or apparent lack of them) of Mr Darcy. That WAS a surprise! 'Miss Melford, you are a lady of sensibility and perception and will surely excuse my conduct. I am compelled to speak...' and so forth.

Can't say I'm at all dismayed by this 'Jane Austen' tag. I'm rather pleased, although it means that I haven't got a modern, cool, trendy sort of name, and can't ever cut it on TV. (I was hoping to somehow get a spot on Loose Women) Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Chrissie has mentioned a problem leaving comments on my postings. I'm testing this! Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to work now, Lucy..

    love
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford